A Sad Day in Ukraine

Today was a sad day for Ukraine.  If you read the news this morning, you would have seen that there were multiple bombing attacks in a town called Dnepropetrovsk in Central Ukraine. This is about an hour and a half drive from Zaporizhya, and I passed very close to there last night on my overnight train to Kyiv. Several dozen citizens were injured; the bombs went off in a regular town, near a movie theatre and tram stop.

The articles that I’ve read online say that nobody is sure who set off the bombs or why. Maybe by the time you read this, the investigations will reveal who did it. Right now, they think it might have been to make some political point. Unfortunately, Ukrainian people are suffering because their government is a mess, and this may be yet another sign. I have grown to love these people and this rich culture, and I am so sad that this happened.

Today is also my last day in Ukraine, and this is another reason why I’m sad.  It is hard to say goodbye to the friends I’ve made here. I’m sad to leave a community of teachers who inspire me. When I first learned that I was going to Zaporizhya, I have to admit that I was a little disappointed.  I read that it was an industrial city and other teachers were getting to go to the Black Sea or beautiful countryside villages.  I was so wrong.  Zaporizhya is a small, friendly city with a rich history and a lot of green space.  I was lucky to spend a week calling it home.  I’ve been wanting to share some of my favorite photographs from the Zaporizhya, and today seemed like the best time since I am leaving tomorrow. I hope these photographs capture what a special place it is.

The Beauty of Zaporizhya:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I’m going on to Turkey by myself — first stop: Cappadocia.  I have to admit that I am feeling a bit more scared than excited now. There are a lot of unknowns in Turkey and I have felt very cared for in Ukraine.  I am reminding myself that the best experiences come from stepping out of our comfort zones.  We learn the most when we challenge ourselves.  So, while I am excited for this journey, I am also bracing myself for the challenges that will come from exploring a new culture alone.

Today, I got an email that I needed to call Turkish Airlines.  After a while fumbling with my phone and international calling codes, I had to wait on hold while I listened to a recording in Turkish.  Eventually, I found out that one leg of my flight is running fifteen minutes late.  Whew!  No problem.  Now, I just need to manage my bags onto the plane.  Hopefully, that is going to be my biggest challenge tomorrow.  Wish me luck, but don’t worry about me!  I’m ready for the adventure.

And I will take a piece of Ukraine in my heart as I board the plane.

About these ads

20 thoughts on “A Sad Day in Ukraine

Comment navigation

1. Elissa on said:

Happy travels! I’m sure that Turkey will be wonderful, and you’ll meet lots of new friends! Give my love to Ceyda.

2. I read a story about the bombings and then linked it on my scoopt.it page just before I read your posting. It is a sad day, not only because it comes at the end of your wonderful experience, but because it happened at all.

I have loved reading of your Ukrainian adventures and I’m so glad that I get to keep following you as you venture on to Turkey. I loved this statement as you put your anxieties into perspective: “the best experiences come from stepping out of our comfort zones. We learn the most when we challenge ourselves.” This is the heart behind “roaming the roads of lands remote.” If we let the unknown keep us from exploring the world then we don’t get the chance for something awesome to happen.

Safe travels to the next destination…and extra special blessings with your luggage concerns!

3. Edith Collins 7th grade student on said:

so sad, im glad u wernt there though.

4. Edith Collins 7th grade student on said:

terrible spelling.

5. anna HB Edelman on said:

sorry i couldn’t comment sooner, but i went to the school social and when i got home, i was really tired. i was also really busy this morning (i have a recital around lunchtime).
    i agree Ms. Krakauer, it’s very sad, they shouldn’t have this happen to them! i didn’t know that a bomb went off! i wonder who the culprit is…
    Turkey can’t be all that bad. i haven’t heard much about Turkey, but once (this happened a long time ago) my dad showed me this page where it said (with video) about a UFO that was spotted in Turkey. i’m not sure if it was real.
    i don’t want to give anything away, but (based on a little research) let’s just say that Turkey is a GOOD country. so relax Ms. Krakauer! you’ll be absolutely, positively, 100%, totally fine!!! :D
    just relax and go with the flow!

i wish you safe travels!!! :D

6. Sarah Y. HB Edelman on said:

Why would they be bombing? This isn’t right. The culprit must be out of their mind!
    happy travels :), and we’ll say a prayer for the injured citizens of Ukraine.

7. Sarah Y. HB Edelman on said:

the very last sentence of the article that you wrote is very, very, very POWERFUL and awesome!

8. Cora HB Edelman on said:

Bombs? I have had bad experiences with bombs. At my old school, someone wrote a bomb threat that a bomb would go off at 12 oclock. We all evacuated the building and the science teacher left her class pet bunny, Kuma, inside the building. I was so afraid that something was going to happen to Kuma. Luckily, there was no bomb and the student who wrote the threat, went to the principal and told the truth. Still sad. I feel very bad for everyone who is injured or has lost a loved one to bomb Ukraine. :(

9. Cora HB Edelman on said:

That was supposed to be “in Ukraine”.

10. Sarah Y. HB Edelman on said:

it’s even more harsh, because the day of the bombing was the last full day in Ukraine for Ms.K.

11. Terry F-M HB:Keller on said:

That’s so sad! :(

12. Aria (HB KELLER) on said:

That is awful that someone would bomb the home of innocent people. :(
    Even worst that you had to leave Ukraine and leave your friends behind. I hope things do get better and I was wondering if they ever found out who bombed Ukraine.
    Have fun in Turkey though :)

13. Cora HB Edelman on said:

:( :( :(

I feel so bad

14. Shaun F-M Hb:Rowling on said:

That . . .
    Is . . .
    One . . .
    Mean . . .
    Bomber ! ! !

15. Cameron HB: Bell on said:

I wonder… Did they ever find the bomber? That is definitely not something that should go unpunished!!!!!! I bet they really hurt some people! I sure hope nothing was very fatal… So sad that would happen though…

Comment navigation